Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:00:06 +0100

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 19:19 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > You ask how a copy would be acquired without accepting the GPL.
>
> Irrelevant. You still don't have the right to make copies and distribute

The right to distribute lawfully made copies (without authority of the
copyright owner) is statutory. 17 USC 109. And license-not-a-contract
fiction just can't interfere with that right. But anyway, if one needs
to distribute multiple copies (no sources, draconian contractual terms
that impose forbearance from the GPL via shrink-wrap or something), one
can simply unrestrictedly download multiple copies (implied license to
save bandwidth aside for a moment). I keep all my download logs in safe
place. ;-)

regards,
alexander.