Re: Running modified GPL software on a server

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: Running modified GPL software on a server
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:40:55 -0600

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:27:38 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Rex writes:
>> I've seen a lot of people say that if you modify GPL code and run it on a
>> server (e.g. I modify MySQL and then use it as a database for my shopping
>> website), you don't have to GPL your modifications.
>
> It's bloody well obvious.  Read the license.
>
>> Can anyone point me to an official statement on this by the FSF or
>> another authority?
>
> Ask your lawyer.

There was a lot of rhetoric about the FSF wanting to change this for GPLv3.
I don't know if that happened, but somewhere in the FSF or RMS explanations
of why they needed a new version of the GPL ought to be some pretty official
discussion of this issue.

I heard somewhere the the MySQL people had their own opinion about this.

Isaac