Re: Linus, and whether tactfulness has any value

From: George Ellison
Subject: Re: Linus, and whether tactfulness has any value
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:48:30 -0500

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> In article <43adab12@clear.net.nz>, Peter <peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz>
> wrote:
>> The nearest competing thing to Linux in the Open Source world is the HURD
>> development.  While this alternative operating system is in theory more
>
> How about FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD?  They are far more competitive
> with Linux than HURD is (or ever will be).

True. But they've got a history of limiting write access to their codebase,
whereas Linux has typically been open to all comers. HURD will probably be
closer in line with the BSD's compared to Linux in this, given the FSF's past
behavior. While the contributions of IBM and others tends to be a bit
overplayed, it has been significantly helpful in the enterprise field.
--
BOFH Excuse #152:

My pony-tail hit the on/off switch on the power strip.