Re: how much is too much?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:08:33 +0200

> John Hasler wrote:
>>
>> Chad writes:
>> > I'm actually considering a dedication to the public domain. So to clarify
>> > the direct issue: My understanding is that I cannot take code that is
>> > under the GPL and copy/paste it into a project that I want to dedicate to
>> > the public domin. Correct?
>>
>> You must release the work as a whole under the terms of the GPL, but you
>> can release the portion of which you are sole author under any terms you
>> wish.
>>
>> > A further question: can GPL code be safely included in a package released
>> > under the LGPL?
>>
>> No.
>
> Wrong. The package is a compilation, not a derivative work.

While Alexander is sure to be the only person in the world
knowledgable about the law, it is an unfortunate thing that his
opinions are neither shared by the typical GPL licensor (like the
FSF), so heeding Alexander's advice is likely to get you into a court,
nor by the judges, so heeding Alexander's advice is likely to cause
you financial damages.

It turns out that in the few cases where the defendant did not choose
to settle out of court, the GPL has quite consistently been upheld.

Anyway, "compilation" means something entirely different in the
context of the law and of computing.