Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:19:35 +0100

> Martin Dickopp wrote:
> [...]
>> I have no idea what you're aiming at.
>
> I'm not surprised.

Since it becomes subsequently clear that you have no idea what you are
aiming at either, hardly a surprise.

>> If the works of A and B are combined to form a derivative work by
>> an entity C, and the act of
>
> Combined as in what? Can you print two different stories (bought
> electronically) on the same sheet of paper (to form a combined
> printout) or not?

That certainly falls under fair use _unless_ you choose to
redistribute them again.  For that you need a licence.

> Printing them in one pass is certainly illegal in the GNU
> Republic...

Nonsense.  It just does not give you a licence to redistribute.

> unless you happen to be entitled with a privilege to prepare
> derivative works of both and they both came to you under
> "compatible" licenses, right?

Preparing derivative works is pretty much your right.  Redistributing
them isn't.  Redistribution is illegal unless you have a licence to do
so.  The GPL is a blanket licence for redistribution of the GPLed
work.  However, it demands no additional restrictions.  If the other
material on the page has an incompatible licence and one can't cleanly
separate the parts into on the page into separate components, the
whole is a derivative work and can only be distributed as a whole
under the GPL or not at all.

It is not that hard to understand.