Re: GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN

From: Richard Steiner
Subject: Re: GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:42:48 -0500

Here in comp.unix.solaris,
groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) spake unto us, saying:

>Win-OS/2 became an excuse for ISVs to not provide native OS/2 ports.

In the long run, WinOS2 may have hurt native OS/2 software development,
but it also added a lot of valuable applications to the mix that would
run on an OS/2 desktop.  It was a trade-off.

I still use programs like Visio, Quicken 98, and AOLPress under OS/2
today.  Without such software, I'd probably be using Linux or FreeBSD
instead.  Maybe even Solaris/x86 (which I've looked at several times).

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
     Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.