Re: Is Hibernate right about the LGPL?

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Is Hibernate right about the LGPL?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:05:55 +0100

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 16:52 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> That's allowed by the [L]GPL itself. A non-contract simply can't
> restrict my "mv" right.

Neither the GPL or the LGPL affect the "mv" right. They affect the "cp
right".

>  A non-contract can't prevent me from
> creating a whole bunch of binary-only copies incorporating GPL'ed
> original and/or derivative work(s) and distribute them under 17
> USC 109 using my own very restrictive contractual terms meant to
> protect my modifications (compilations aside for a moment) as
> trade secrets (clauses like "No Reverse Engineering", etc).

The GPL is not a contract. It's an unilateral grant of permission to do
things, which normally copyright doesn't allow you, under certain
conditions.

You don't have to sign or agree with it. Nothing else gives you any "cp"
rights (notice the nice and different use of quotes).

> Bah. Make Your Bet, rms.
>
> http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=m&board=1600684464&tid=cald&sid=1600684464&mid=169319
> http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=m&board=1600684464&tid=cald&sid=1600684464&mid=169194
> http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action=m&board=1600684464&tid=cald&sid=1600684464&mid=169188

Funny. For someone so certain as you are, it is indeed quite a small
value you bet (in comparison with your certainty).

Just for the sport of it, I'll give you one cent (whichever is worth
more at the moment, Euro or US Dollar) if you're right, and hope nothing
more than the same from yourself if you're wrong.

Other than that, I don't bet for money. This is purely symbolic.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?