Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: telford
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:23:23 -0000

Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:

> --=-HUP79PZZ4j1DmIUsan8J

> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 08:22 +0000, wrote:
>> Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> > Oh really? Then why doesn't the program fullfil its purpose without the
>> > library, either at compile time or at run time?
>>=20
>> Why doesn't your computer operating system fullfil its purpose without th=
>> microcode in the keyboard controller?

> What keyboard controller? I could be using a pen device!

You could be, but you aren't. Even if you were, the pen device also
contains a microcontroller with embedded software.

> The hardware is 100% not derivable in software.

If you are trying to say that there is a sacred division between
where hardware ends and software begins then you do not understand
computing machinery.

Every modern hardware device does contain embedded software and
such software can be brought up as program code on someone's screen
if you have access to the source files. This includes devices from
mice up to RAID controllers.

> Do not mix matter with mind please. You
> just lost all potential reason.

I am willing to believe that there is a distinction between matter
and mind only after I have seen an experiment that can measure the
distinction. Do you know of such an experiment?

        - Tel