Re: Is forcing "upstream" distribution really OK for free software?

From: Martin Dickopp
Subject: Re: Is forcing "upstream" distribution really OK for free software?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:45:44 +0200

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> MJ Ray writes:
>> Also if you have no way to send for free, it looks like an effective
>> royalty payment on distribution.
>
> It is at most a small one-time expense that is not paid to the author.
> I don't see how you can call that a royalty.

Since I'm not a native English speaker, I have no opinion on the
particular choice of the word "royalty", but I think I see MJ's point.
Think of a poor country where distribution is /not/ a small expense, and
where a developer goes to great effort and expenses to distributes his
changes /once/.  Under such circumstances, the developer should be
required to distribute again.

Martin