Re: Question about the GPL copyright noticeandthestatementofcopying perm

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Question about the GPL copyright noticeandthestatementofcopying permission not being included in allthesourcefiles of aproduct.
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:12:01 -0400

In article <40E709D3.D55FBAEE@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> >
> > In article <40E6EA6A.DDAE1194@web.de>,
> >  Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, if you're so "moral", why hide anything?
> >
> > To avoid prosecution, of course.  He clearly stated that he thinks the
> > law is wrong.  But disagreeing with a law won't prevent you from being
> > prosecuted under it if you're caught.
>
> The entire gang should ASAP relocate to North Korea or something like
> that... or perhaps buy an island and declare independent GNU Republic
> or whatever.

Good luck getting trade treaties with the US and Europe if you don't
establish comparable copyright and patent laws in your new country.
China can get away with it because they have a billion people, and we're
willing to compromise to get access to their market.  An island nation
with a few thousand GNUtians won't have much clout, though.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA