Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)

From: GreyCloud
Subject: Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:48:15 -0600

John Baker wrote:

"Iain" <iain_inkster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
6feb9a89.0406230845.2f654904@posting.google.com">news:6feb9a89.0406230845.2f654904@posting.google.com...

There is a clique of people who use Linux\Unix BECAUSE it is arcane,
which involves a sort of extended Orwellian nationalism, which some
people call "religious".

Some of them sound as though they're waiting for Jesus Torvalds (or is that
Linus Christ?) to descend from the sky, blazing sword in hand, to banish the
evil Redmond Giant from our desktops forever. <G>

When Windows XP crashes on me I always get told I should use Linux
because it generally doesn't behave samely.

I have, on extremely rare occasions, been booted completely out of the OS
with Linux. One click of the mouse, and for some reason I'm staring at the
login screen. That's never happened to me with XP, although I have had one
or two spontaneous reboots. Applications seem to hang with roughly the same
frequency (that is rarely) with both. It's six of one and half a dozen of
the other. The point being that, at least on the machines I build, XP is
plenty stable enough, and Linux offers no advantage in that regard. Add to
that the fact that for the type of work I mainly use my PC for, there's no
good open source software available (GIMP? give me a break...), there's just
no reason at all for me to use Linux.

I've nothing specific against Linux but ideally I'd use what would
otherwise be Windows XP if it never crashed.

My biggest gripe with a large percentage of the Linux crowd is that they
seem to utterly ignore the fact that for every person who whines and bitches
about how much Windows sucks, there are a hundred who don't have any major
problems with it.

They just have a lot of minor annoyances is all, like the mysterious reboots, or printer doesn't work right so you have to reboot, etc.

Keep griping, because people like you have already been brain washed by M$ into thinking that crap is acceptable.

--
They made M$ windwoes to keep idiots away from UNIX.