Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:37:09 +0200

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
[...]
> This has nothing to do with the browser. It's not the
> temporary copying that's the problem (though it might,
> would it come to a court case), but the fact that to
> go from the copy that's covered by first sale to the
> thing you want to distribute, you will have to make
> a copy, and it's not intermediary at all, because you
> cannot distribute the original file you downloaded.
> The executable contains a copy of that file.

If you want to burn a CD or a DVD, it will also contain a copy of the
original work you downloaded to your hard disk. "[temporary copies of
any work] the infringement is de minimis, or the infringement may be
excused as fair use as in the case of a lawfully made CD, DVD, or
digital download of copyrighted material." (from the "Initial Comments
Filed in Response to 65 FR 35673"). See, de minimis and fair use, my
friend.

regrads,
alexander.