Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending

From: Paul Hovnanian P.E.
Subject: Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:20:15 -0700

theodp wrote:

> While Mainframe and Unix users are unlikely to find it novel that
> Windows XP allows several family members to share a PC while enabling
> each to have personalized settings and folders, that's not stopping
> Microsoft from seeking a patent for 'Methods and arrangements for
> providing multiple concurrent desktops and workspaces in a shared
> computing environment,' the USPTO disclosed Thursday.
>
> --> Link to Microsoft's Patent Application
>
> http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220040088709%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040088709&RS=DN/20040088709

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this appears to be an application, not a
granted patent. With that in mind, lets see if the USPTO actually grants
them one.

This could be an interesting tactic on the part of various companies
with too much cash and not enough actual work to do. Swamp the patent
office with crap. If the reviewers are buried in garbage, maybe they'll
just start rubber stamping them to clear out their in baskets.

note to spammers:  a Washington State resident
Time's fun when you're having flies. -- Kermit the Frog