Re: [GNU-linux-libre] is this work-group still serving the community?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] is this work-group still serving the community?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 11:42:03 +0300

* bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> [2021-10-04 13:03]:
> unfortunately, the FSDG simply "has no teeth" today;

FSDG should be a norm by which FSF endorses fully free software
distributions.

What it lacks really is communication. When we file reports at
Parabola or other distributions, we can as users see their
feeling of activity behind.

FSDG does not give the feeling of any activity and communication
process seem tedious, and non-responsive. I don't know if it is really
so, I say how it feels.

While FSF is important and by its endorsement contributes to promotion
of fully free software, everybody is free to make their own set of
rules or norms and policies how distribution should be, or in which
way should it be considered "fully free". Distributions have their
policies and differ to each other. I consider some of them more free
than others, for example Hyperbola is for me on top of the list, they
are creating distribution for the reason to be fully free. That is my
impression.

Some distribution may be fully free only for the reason to promote
sales of their notebooks or phones. That is business decision, and
nevertheless valid. But it cannot be my choice, as I cannot get
impression that such has purpose for free software. Impression is that
purpose is to sell hardware. And I rather go with better
purpose. Nothing against selling hardware, subject is the purpose.

FSDG does not speak about purposes of distribution and also will not
verify any free software distribution that does not apply with the
FSF. There may be fully free distributions we don't know about it.

> non-compliance is inconsequential - even if all FSDG distros
> _must_ take some action, in order to remain in compliance, most
> distros do not read, share insights, nor ask questions on this
> list;

Good observation.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns