Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1712352] freenix endorsed ?

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1712352] freenix endorsed ?
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 16:53:50 -0700

Dear Jean Louis,

We have been waiting for FSF to do something, anything, for years now.
If you want to "rush", please let them know.

To answer your questions, every single bit of info you want is already
provided on our very small wiki. See inline replies below.

> What I don't understand is the mentioning of these packages which are
> non-free:
> https://freenix.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware_14.0

These are non-free packages which we've purged from the Slackware
upstream in order to create Freenix. We are fully committed to
documenting every step of our work.

> What is very hard to find on that website is:
>
> - Packages, package list or search of packages, as that is starting
>   point to verify if there are some considered non-free or
>   non-compliant to FSF Free Distribution Guidelines

No, it's not very hard to find. The entire distribution is linked from
the Free Repository article:

https://freenix.net/fxp/

https://freenix.net/fxp/freeslack64-14.2/

As in upstream Slackware, the packages are in

https://freenix.net/fxp/freeslack64-14.2/slackware64/

There is also a diff-list of packages, documenting our procedure for
finding and removing all non-free packages from Slackware, linked from
Slackware 14.2:

https://freenix.net/slackware-14.2-licenses.ods

> - Issues -- I have seen it, but I missed it, it is very hard to find
>   issues. That is one of requirements.

In Participation article of the wiki, there are clear instructions for
reporting issues.

Please let us know if you have any ideas for improving our communication
via the wiki, the forum, or anything else, but please understand that
there's absolutely nothing we can do to move the certification process
forward at this time. Several years ago FSF told us to stand by while
they are rendering their final decision, and they've done absolutely
nothing since then, as far as we can tell, despite my occasional efforts
to check in.