Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Guix and FSDG

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Guix and FSDG
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 17:23:53 -0800

El 2019-11-20 14:10, Raghav Gururajan escribió:

> I can see two ways to end the confusion between Guix and FSDG, once in
> for all. Either the FSDG remains unchanged and Guix gets removed from
> the FSD list (or) the FSDG gets revised and Guix remains on the FSD
> list. I am inclined to the latter, however, I am open to hear how the
> former could be a better option.

I do not see a need to change the FSDG, unless they are to be designed
to approve distributions such as Debian. The freedom to choose is only
real freedom if the options are free. If the FSDG are changed to trick
the user into thinking that if is free by choosing nonfree software,
they do not support the user at all.

The real option is that Guix server downloads the upstream sourcces and
then the host the sources with only with free software for its users.
Otherwise, it is as free as any other distro because users can remove
nonfree software from any distro.