Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Chromium, ungoogled or otherwise, and Guix

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Chromium, ungoogled or otherwise, and Guix
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:18:19 +0100

Hello Jason,

Jason Self <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> My proposal would be to mention these items in the chromium-browser
> entry on the libreplanet wiki either in addition to or in place of the
> current references of licensing problems that the wiki page has.

I agree: please someone involved
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:FreedSoftware could complete the info
for chromium on
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser
?

I find https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Review:Chromium-REV-ID-1 also very useful

[...]

> problem, but they don't appear to remove the Widevine DRM.
> As long as that remains the case it would seem that ungoogled-chromium
> is also not suitable for inclusion in FSF-endorsed distros, at least
> not out of the box. Since Guix has added ungoogled-chromium, without
> seemingly have changed it to also tackle the DRM portion,

in Guix ungoogled-chromium, Widevine is disabled at build time:
http://issues.guix.info/issue/28004#2
http://issues.guix.info/issue/28004#87

> I have reported this to their bug tracker. I'm waiting to receive the
> bug number.

do you have the bug number now?

> The last item seems specific to Guix: Their method of building seems to
> involve downloading Chromium, then runnning ungoogled-chromium over it,
> and then building.
>
> That would mean, if someone wanted to build it on Guix themselves, that
> they'd also be going through those same steps. I don't know that FSF-
> endorsed distros should be having their users download non-FSDG
> compliant software in order to build them, even if its patched and
> modified during the build process.

in order to distribute the Linux-libre kernel developers have to
download a non-FSDG Linux kernel... or they have to download a
stripped-source-version?... and who is entitled to download a
non-stripped version so he can distribute a stripped-version?

> When LibreWRT was founded in 2010 (before it later merged into
> libreCMC) we submitted a similiar question to the FSF, as to if it was
> sufficient for the LibreWRT build scripts (which would be run by the
> person building the firmware image from source, just like how someone
> might instruct Guix to build from source) to download Linux and then
> run the Linux-libre deblobbing scripts on it vs having the build
> scripts instead download tarballs that were already cleaned up. I can't
> seem to find the email from back then but the response was that we
> needed to use already cleaned-up tarballs. Guix should do something
> similar.

please find that reference, this should be clarified once and for all
(if it's not already documented on some FSF or libreplanet page)

Thanks!
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo