Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre last chance comments

From: Antonio Diaz Diaz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre last chance comments
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 16:25:32 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:
There is no information or comparison on the distribution page.

A popularity contest is not a replacement for reading each distro's home page. It may also hinder excellent but unknown software from becoming known and appreciated if most people just install the most popular entry.

Surveys are classic methods to find out what public needs and wants.

What people needs and what people wants may be vastly different, as proved by the popularity of proprietary software with spyware in it. If we were to attend to popular demand we should abandon free software and switch to MS Windows. We are trying to improve things over traditional marketing. Aren't we?

Distro reviews may be much more useful than popularity contests to help people decide wisely what distro is better for them.

Best regards,
Antonio.