Re: [GNU-linux-libre] what of the distros that have already asked for co

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] what of the distros that have already asked for consideration or have been partially evaluated?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 20:42:07 -0700

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 19:47:37 Jason Self wrote:
> bill-auger <address@hidden> wrote ..
>
> > BTW - the actual OP for free-slack is here:
> https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2016-07/msg00021.html
>
> OK so freeslack can probably be updated that it's on hold pending a
> name change. (Based on Donald's 2017-04-06 email quoted at
> https://www.freeslack.net/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=7&goto=15&#msg_15)
>
> Although do we still consider it on hold if it's been over a year?
> Things can change in that time; perhaps distros should be expected to
> re-apply and start from scratch in cases where a large amount of time
> has gone by.

Erm, you would want distro maintainers to re-do the paperwork because FSF took
a year evaluating a simple query? Or, as it feels more likely in this
particular case, leaving it on the back burner and doing nothing at all?

I think it would be more in line with FSDG evaluation process to simply assume
that no new bugs crept in during this time, based on the fact that no bugs
were made known to maintainers via the mailing list or a private channel. This
is consistent with the existing policy of not continually evaluating the
distro after it's been accepted. Assuming good faith on the part of distro
maintainers, FSF currently hopes that *reported* freedom bugs will be fixed in
a timely manner. If there is an outstanding, reported bug which hasn't been
fixed in a specified period of time, then I think it is suitable to revoke the
certification, or to kick the approval process back to square 1.

In case with FreeSlack though, there are no outstanding freedom issues, and
the only open issue is in the FSF's court. I believe that re-doing the
application would be redundant, and would just waste everyone's time.