Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fully FOSS Tails OS

From: Luke
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fully FOSS Tails OS
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 14:19:55 +0000

On 01/15/2017 08:46 AM, Jaromil wrote:
> I'll take the occasion to pose a question we have unanswered at the
> moment: because of our plan to make heads really secure, the wish is
> that of applying the -grsec patch to linux-libre.
>
> is there any concern regarding the free nature of the -grsec patch?

There are non-free blobs in the grsec patch since 2015[1], Parabola is
currently removing them for our grsec kernel.
You can either use these deblobbed ones or remove the non-free firmware
on your own.[2]

I e-mailed spender about the issue and he provided a python script which
removes *all* firmware. Unfortunately, it also removes free firmware
since the script does not have any sanity checks.[3] It could be useful
to revisit this script and get it working properly to automate blob /
non-free firmware removal.

Luke
Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre Packager

[1] https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4209