Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism

From: Dima Krasner
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:58:44 +0200

---- On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:15:09 +0200 Jeff F.<address@hidden> wrote ----

 > Le jeudi 10 novembre 2016 à 9:00 -0500, Julie Marchant a écrit :
 > [...]
 >
 > There is absolutely no part of
 > https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html
 > ...that says that a distro website cannot be part of another website.
 > So your argument stands only on your personal opinion.

IMHO, the excessive strictness reflected in the FSDG certification process is
the root of many problems in the free software world and especially those that
involve the FSF. It won't be very hard to demonstrate that most if not all
FSDG-approved distros are incompliant, when *anything* counts as valid evidence
(including things like "-debian", in version strings of server version strings
sent by infrastructure servers).

The FSF loses its power, relevance and legitimacy when it does things with this
strict, elitist attitude. Although I understand the ethical reasoning behind
the FSF/RMS way of doing things, I believe that free software that can be
embedded in proprietary software and free software made by a company that pays
for this by selling hardware that depends on (some) non-free software is still
better than proprietary software, for ethical (and technical) reasons. Such
software doesn't instantaneously make the world 100% free as we'd like, but
it's a slight move in the right direction and has value, especially when the
ethical TODO is well-documented and visible to the users.

2c

Dima