Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FreeSlack: In search of FSF certification

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FreeSlack: In search of FSF certification
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 12:28:19 +0200

Hello,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 06:26:12PM -0700, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:

> We are very excited to announce an RC1 of FreeSlack 14.2. Since we spoke last
> time, we purged mozilla firefox, mozilla thunderbird, and seamonkey, leaving,
> as far as we can tell, nothing else that would violate FSDG. The purge
> affected both 14.1 and 14.2 repositories, of course, so we no longer
> distribute these packages in any way.
>
> The wiki installation page still points to 14.1, but once RC1 goes gold in a
> few days, it will change.
>
> Regardless of 14.2 release status, we believe we are ready for a final look-
> over by an FSDG compliance agent.
>
> Main wiki:
>
> http://freeslack.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start
>
> Repositories:
>
> http://freeslack.net/fxp/
>
> DVDs:
>
> http://freeslack.net/fxp-iso/
>
> More recent source with scripts for the entire process,
> including deblobbing the DVD:
>
> http://freeslack.net/fxp/freeslack64-14.2/source/fxp/
>
> And finally, extra binary packages, including functional replacements for
> some
> of the omitted nonfree packages (lhasa, arj, icecat):
>
> http://freeslack.net/fxp/freeslack64-14.2/fxp/
>
> We are very hopeful this release finally meets FSDG. Please take a look and
> let us know.

I compared he list of non-free and thus excluded packages of freeslack[0] with
my list
of excluded packages in ConnochaetOS [1]. ConnochaetOS excluded following
packages which freeslack does not.

* ap/ghostscript-9.19-x86_64-2.txz
  ConnochaetOS provides an modified/libre version of Ghostscript
  without nonfree JPEG XR support, based on Parabola's build [2]

* x/font-bh-ttf-1.0.3-noarch-1.txz
* x/font-misc-meltho-1.0.3-noarch-1.txz
  This are non-free fonts according to Parabola's blacklist.[3] I
  re-checked and indeed the license of this two fonts is non-free
  because it allows no modification.

Regards,

Henry

[0] http://freeslack.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware_14.2