Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 00:00:40 +0200

Op Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:15:25 +0200
schreef Zlatan Todoric <address@hidden>:

> > If you type "man sources.list", you will find an example of a deb
> > line which includes Debian's contrib and non-free repositories.
>
> I see how this could be seen problematic, but it can escalate to
> "Debian is not FSF endorsed" so we should strip promotion of such
> distribution in any way (which would be tedious job, and all Debian
> based distros would fail even Trisquel (Debian -> Ubuntu ->
> Trisquel). Notice that we can't and will not stop users installing
> whatever OS they want on their machine but with our repos they get
> only Free software. Btw, gNewSense has the same man page and yet it
> is endorsed.

Thanks for pointing that out, I consider that a bug (similar to [1]).

You don't have to deny that Debian exists or that you derive from it.
The Debian project deserves credit for their work. The point is that
users should be able to trust that when you refer to third party
software or software repositories, those are "safe" to use.

Consider this contrived [2] analogy. Jim is a vegetarian (because he
thinks killing animals is unethical) and a welcome customer at
restaurant "Veggie Suzy's". Jim is even such a good friend of the house
that Suzy lends him her notebook with hand-written recipes. Jim
enthusiastically leafs through it and tries out some recipes, one of
which is "Spaghetti Au Canard". He gets the ingredients from the
grocery store, including a packet of "canard", and prepares a delicious
meal. With a satisfied tummy he boots his laptop to look for other
tasty variants of the recipe. To his horror he finds out that "canard"
means duck and that he has just eaten a dead bird. He's disappointed in
Suzy because she didn't give him the vegetarian version of the recipe
and didn't tell him that some of the recipes contain meat, knowing full
well his persuasion.

[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29724
[2] Please don't analyze this to shreds. It's imperfect and
unrealistic. It just serves to illustrate my point.