Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 22:33:04 +0200

Hello,

I have read it all, thank you. I simply let it solve in the group, that
was my opinion, and there are other opinions, and end result will be
something good.

Listing was good question IMHO, because if software is for nothing else
to be used but to run non-free software, it is useless in free software
community. If there is list or some particular case how it can be used,
that would clarify the case. But I don't mind personally. For me is now
more important the trademark issue, as that endanger all free software
distributions.

Cite from:
http://docs.mamedev.org/basicuse/gettingstarted.html#system-requirements

BIOS Dumps and Software

Most of the systems emulated by MAME requires a dump of the internal
chips of the original system. These can be obtained by extracting the
data from an original unit, or finding them (at your own risk) in the
WorldWideWeb. Being copyrighted material, MAME does not come with any of
these.

Also, you may want to find some software to be run on the emulated
machine. Again, Google and other search engines are your best
friends. MAME does not provide any software to be run on the emulated
machines because it is very often (almost always, in the case of console
software) copyrighted material.