Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 20:42:40 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 03:09:44PM -0300, Felipe Sanches wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Wouldn't this change make MAME free software that depends on nonfree
> >> software in order to run?
> > It's the other way around.
> > As I understand it, only non-free software running on top of MAME (or
> > the hardware it emulates) exist.
>
> If that's your understanding, than it seems you misunderstand it.
> There have been examples of free firmware running on top of hardware
> emulated by MAME already listed earlier in this very same thread.

Please provide clear list of that, as that can help certainly.

It is good to remember that "free firmware" cannot be free software, as there
is no corresponding source code for that. It is firmware.

Free ROM cannot be free software without source code and possibility to
compile it with free software.

As it was me who started this discussion, now I understand that there
are those who are conservative and those who are more liberal. I don't
look into fact that MAME® is free software, rather into the fact that:

- MAME® website was referenced from GuixSD distribution, from the
  proposed package for MAME®

- that on their website they don't provide and never did in the past,
  any free software for users, but rather proprietary ROMs

- that users would be thus driven to the website where they would run
  proprietary game ROMs

- that users of free software distribution GuixSD would search for MAME®
  almost exclusively to run those proprietary ROMs

- even if there is some free software to run on MAME®, it would be
  insignificant use in comparison to how many people would be driven to
  the proprietary ROMs,

- we also need to consider practical side, not just theoretical, but
  practical side is that MAME® is indeed used to run proprietary ROMs

If it would be my personal project, I would not include it. Personal
opinion and stand, as I would avoid advertising non-free software
through package definition or through inclusion of the words "MAME"
emulator.

Jean Louis