Re: [GNU-linux-libre] In search of FSDG certification

From: stressware
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] In search of FSDG certification
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:11:49 +0000

> I think the name "FreeSlack" may be in conflict with the FSDG:
> "We will not list a distribution whose name makes confusion with
> nonfree distributions likely. For example, if Foobar Light is a free
> distribution and Foobar is a nonfree distribution, we will not list
> Foobar Light. This is because we expect that the distinction between
> the two would be lost in the process of communicating the message.
>
> In particular, the principal name of the free distribution
> (“Foobar”, in this example) should not be part of the name of any
> nonfree distribution."
>
> Regards,
>
> Henry

That seems to just refer to confusion, not mere reference. It is
likely that people will think that 'FreeSlack' is derived from
Slackware, as it is, but I doubt whether many will confuse it for
Slackware. Only part of the name of the Free distribution (FreeSlack)
is part of the name of a non-Free distribution.