Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 12:19:07 +0200

"Robert Call (Bob)" <address@hidden> skribis:

> While I'm not fully against giving grade letters to various source code
> hosting providers, it is not solving the real issues that we are now
> faced with. We can't continue to endorse any one centralized place to
> host source code unless we want to continue to repeat history and make
> this issue more critical.

Agreed.

Also, I think we must encourage free alternatives that strive in this
area, even projects developing “classical” server code à la Gitorious.
That means recommending hosting that runs free software on the server.

I’m concerned that the grades might have a negative effect on projects
that develop free alternatives by giving the impression that the GitHubs
and the GitLabs may be “good enough” after all.

I think GNU should be setting the standard.  As a maintainer, that the
criteria are so closely associated with GNU is a bit problematic.

Ludo’.