[GNU-linux-libre] Reviewing the GNU system for FSDG compliance

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Reviewing the GNU system for FSDG compliance
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:24:49 +0200

Hello!

A while back I submitted a request for review to mark the GNU
distribution (built with GNU Guix) as a free distro [0].  However, at
the time the system did not stand alone, and packages could only be
installed on a running GNU/Linux system.

This is about to change.  GNU Guix 0.7, due for release in a few days,
will provide an image that one can use to install the GNU system on real
hardware from a USB key, using Linux-Libre as the kernel.

There are still important limitations [1] that make it unsuitable as a
production system or for newcomers, but OK (and even pretty cool, I dare
say ;-)) as a hacker’s system.

So I wonder if now would be a good time to start reviewing it for FSDG
compliance.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.