Re: [GNU-linux-libre] 99% libre meme

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] 99% libre meme
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:54:54 -0300

On 03/01/2014 04:36 PM, Nicolás Reynolds wrote:

> hi!  there's a widely used meme here in argentina that says "it's ok to
> install and recommend convenience-focused distros because they're 99%
> libre", followed by "...since we can't get rid of that 1% just yet".
>
> since i've recently read it went up to 99.98% i decided to check how
> much this "proportion of unfreedomness" is.
>
> we discussed this on #parabola and for archlinux the proportion never
> went more than 97%, for instance:
>
> * 5714 packages from arch provided by parabola
> * 564 packages from arch being blacklisted from parabola
>
> From the latter:
>
> * 201 packages without libre replacements
> * 33 packages removed or replaced because of branding issues
> * 52 packages removed or replaced because they recommend unfree software
>   or services
>
> so:
>
> * 479 packages blacklisted for being unfree themselves (not branding nor
>   recommendations)
>
> gives:
>
> 479 * 100 / (479 + 5714) = 7.72
>
> so according to this meme the correct thing to say about archlinux is
> that "it's 92.28% libre" :)
>

> would it be interesting for other distros to debunk this meme?

*** Yes!  Beyond the statistics that can always be challenged, it's good
to get a precise idea of where we stand.  I'm not sure it's interesting
to stigmatize this or that distro for being "more or less free", but
it's generally a good reality check on where to put the efforts.

There used to be a task list for the GNU project if I'm not mistaken. It
seems to have evolved into a multitude of task lists and a priority list
for projects.

In his GNU30 address, rms mentioned work on the MALI video decoder being
the last step to bring 100% free computer from the hardware to the
software.  Following that trend, making it visible, would probably be a
huge step.

Getting to know what hardware is compatible with 100% free software will
make that last 1% difference much more visible than trying to explain
why people shouldn't use that software (that they must use because they
bought freedom-preventing hardware).

==
hk