Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Clementine music player

From: Leo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Clementine music player
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:43:19 -0300

On Thursday 29 March 2012 11:47 Nicolás Reynolds wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:30:16 +1100, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I noticed an email on fedora-legal about the Clementine music player,
> > and I was wondering if someone had any direct experience with it.
> >
> > The relevant part of the mail is:
> > > The application uses Spotify's trademarks and their copyrighted logo
> > > and suggests that the user pull in a proprietary application called
> > > "Spotify Core" to use the feature. This effectively makes the feature
> > > a stub that pulls in proprietary software.
> >
> > Is Clementine in your distro? could you check if this is a general
> > problem, or just specific to fedora/their release ?
> > thanks,
> > kk
>
> we confirmed this on parabola (i installed it myself) and we
> blacklisted it, but apparently forgot to drop it here, sorry :|

This anti-feature can be turned off at compile time.
A few days ago (before this thread was started) I was surprised to see it
blacklisted in Parabola so I read a bit about it.

The spotify stuff can be disabled at build time with these flags: -
DENABLE_SPOTIFY=OFF -DENABLE_SPOTIFY_BLOB=OFF

I think that's what Parabola did (I saw there's a Clementine-libre in the
repos).

A thing that wasn't mentioned is that Clementine has some extras (background
tracks to play along with whatever audio file we're playing at the moment). At
least one of these extras is licensed as CC Sampling+, which, as far as I
know, is nonfree. The extra I'm talking about is rainymood [0]. I don't know
if that can be disabled at compilation time.

I actually think the rainymood idea is a cool one, so it's a bad thing about
the license. Also, Clementine is a really good music player, so it's a pity
that they do things like these that get it pulled out of distros.

[0] http://www.rainymood.com/legal.php

--
RMS Rose GNU/Linux-libre
http://rmsgnulinux.com.ar