Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fwd: Please inform free distro maintainers

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fwd: Please inform free distro maintainers
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 03:41:24 -0300

well... given that all of the source code for the system is available under free licenses, one could patch it to use fonts to render text on the login screen or as an overlay on the wallpaper area instead of using images of text messages...

Of course it may be hard to implement and specially to mantain a patched version of the upstream packages, but certainly it can be done :-)

happy hacking,
Felipe Sanches

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:57:24 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jason Self wrote:
> > Karl Goetz wrote ..
> >> This would mean adding text to a number of images which can't be
> >> translated without shipping a new background image per language. I
> >> question whether thats really what we should be doing - it feels
> >> quite imperialist (to me).
> > > It seems to me that it doesn't (necessarily) need to be a
> > > wallpaper although it
> > could be. It seems that it could also be messages that the
> > installer shows while running, or a web page that automatically
> > opens the first time they login, or...
>
> ... an "Examples" folder on the desktop, containing various sample
> files, including some of RMS' essays.

I'll re-include a segment of the quote I was commenting on:

> [...] announce prominently on the screen, before login and on the
> default desktop after login, a prominent statement about freedom,
> such as &ldquo;This system is freedom-respecting free/libre
> software&rdquo; or something comparable

None of these solutions provide a 'prominent statement' before logging
in. (You can't assume the person logging in was the person who
installed it after all, or that they sat and watched the system
install).
thanks,
kk

--