Re: [GNU-linux-libre] potential issue with packages embedding waf

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] potential issue with packages embedding waf
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:02:31 +0100

Karl Goetz wrote:
Hi all,
I was hoping to get some input from this list on whether we should be
dropping packages containing the 'waf' build system. Its come up for
discussion in Debian as it appears to be a DFSG violation[1] (not our
problem), but might also constitute a GPL violation [2].

It's a technicality, but I agree that distributing a GPL program that includes the waf blob without unpacked source is probably a violation. Luckily it seems easy to fix [1].

Its worth noting not all packages shipping waf are automatically
problematic (its suggested samba ships the full waf source embedded [3])

I did a quick search in the samba 3.5.6 package, but couldn't find anyting about waf.

I'm not sure the best way to get a current list of packages embedding
waf. An expensive way would be to extract all packages and search for
it - i can do it , but rather only if needed.

Can we trust Debian to have done their homework well [2]?

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UnpackWaf
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/address@hidden;tag=waf-unpack