[GNU-linux-libre] Fwd: Re: Selling Frostwire is not a scam. Please clari

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Fwd: Re: Selling Frostwire is not a scam. Please clarify.
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 03:55:12 -0500

These emails are the comunications I have established with the developers of Frostwire, a very good P2P software included in Trisquel.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Selling Frostwire is not a scam. Please clarify. Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:38:44 -0500 User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:9.0) Gecko/20111222 Thunderbird/9.0.1
yes, selling frostwire is not a scam, but sites like frostwire10.com and
others are using our trademarked logo without our permission.

Users come to their websites thinking they're us, they get charged for
money, they get a loads of spyware installed and then we are the ones
that get the blame.

We'll re-word our warning and write a clarifying post.
Selling FrostWire is ok per allowed by the GPL, we know that.

What's illegal here is the miss use of our trademark.

They can sell it, they can do support, they can do all they want with
their software, but they have to say who they are, they cannot
impersonate the identity of our company and a brand that's take a lot of
hard work to build.

Thanks for approaching Quiliro. If you know any distro administrators
we'd love to work together to include frostwire in as many linux
distributions as possible.

On 1/20/12 4:03 PM, Quiliro Ordóñez Baca wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am a free software advocate. I would like to congratulate and thank
> you for such a complete solution for searching and downloading stuff.
> Most of all I think it is great to have such a great software licensed
> GNU GPL version 3 ... the latest and most freedom protective license.
>
> I have issues that I politely want to comment on. The website says that
> there are web sites that sell subscriptions to the software and that
> Frostwire is free software for which that is a scam. I have entered your
> chatrooms and "sunburst" has clarified that those sites are advertizing
> that they give support and they don't.
>
> The GNU GPL allows anyone to sell, lease or give away the software. That
> would not be a violation and saying that about the sale of Frostwire
> would confuse people into thinking that freedom and gratuity are the
> same. The license does not restrict selling. It does not say anything
> about scams but please clarify in your site that the scam is not to
> charge for the software but to trick users.
>
> We would be very happy to see this and it would make us continue to
> trust Frostwie and motivate free distros aproved by the FSF to include
> it as a default package.Please do not consider this an attack. We
> consider you our allies and respectfully ask for your help on this issue.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Quiliro Ordóñez
> Board Member
> Free Software Foundation Latin America
> FSFLA

NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments to it contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information from FrostWire LLC.

This information is only for the use of the intended recipient.

If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately.

It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by

FrostWire LLC for any loss or damage arising in any way from its
use.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Selling Frostwire is not a scam. Please clarify. Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:40:20 -0500 User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:9.0) Gecko/20111222 Thunderbird/9.0.1
Hi Q,

Per your request we have added some language at the end of our posts
against the faker sites

"Selling FrostWire is not illegal or against our software license, in
fact one of the freedoms of the GPL license allows others to sell GPLed
software, however, using our trademark and pretending to be us to sell
our software is a very deceiving practice. Users don't get the official
installer, instead they get installers full of spyware and this damages
user's computers and our reputation."

http://frostwire.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/warning-frostwire10-com-and-frostwiredownload-org-are-fraud-sites/

http://frostwire.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/beware-of-frostwire-software-p2p-com-its-a-scam-fraud-impostors/

Thanks for your support and for your suggestion