[GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: JLM
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 06:32:36 -0700 (PDT)

> That is not my experience. Most people who made a conscious
> technical decision for "open source" can be told that free software
> is more than technical advantage, that it also include ethical values.
> In fact, most people come to free software for technical reasons in the
> first place. I myself switched to GNU/Linux over 12 years ago because of
> the technical disadvantages of the proprietary system I used before and
> learned about software freedom later.

One thing the Free Software movement should realize is that the theoretical
future that RMS talked about years ago, is now the end users reality (although
perhaps to a lesser degree) We now have iPhone devices where Apple decides what
applications people get to use. We have Kindle devices where Amazon decides
what you can read, and can even make your books disappear is some lawyers
decide you don't have the right to read it, IE George Orwell's books. We have
Microsoft building in the ability to force updates onto your computers, even if
you've told it not to install any updates. These freedom issues are now things
the end users can understand and may have experienced.

I no longer have to make an abstract ethical argument on why I would pick free
software. It's simple, I use free software because I don't want corporation or
lawyers decides what programs I run or content I view on my computer, no more
than I would want the Government telling me, and the only technical way to
insure that is by using 100% free software on my systems.

Open Source is a development model targeted at groups and corporation. Free
Software is a software model targeted at users and developers. When someone
says, "I'm a fan of open source" I think one should open a dialog with them and
find out what they like about it. Very likely they may say things where we can
say, "That sounds more like Free Software Movement than Open Source, do you
know about the difference?" And then talk about how Free Software ensures that
the software you are using gives you the freedom, but for that to work, it
requires everyone to respect each other's freedom.

-Jason