Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Parabola] TeXLive auditing

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Parabola] TeXLive auditing
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:36:55 GMT

    I don't know any other works for practical use than hyphenation patterns
    or fonts where generated files can be "understood and modified, on their
    own".

Images are another common case.  People often work on images in gimp (or
photoshop or whatever), possibly in vector formats as the original, but
then only derived jpg's or png's end up being distributed in a given
package.  In my book, the mere fact that the jpg/whatever was generated
from something else does not render it nonfree, even if it is lossy.

    There is no problem if we define source as the most preferred for
    making changes to the work of the forms in which the work is
    available and is understandable.

I agree.

Best,
Karl