Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Smartphones and freedom

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Smartphones and freedom
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:10:32 -0800 (PST)

> Using the first google android developer phone, the ADP1 or even the
> htc dream, you could make/receive calls using only free software.

Didn't they still have the proprietary GSM firmware though?

There is a project [1] working to create a free software replacement for that,
and the Neo Freerunner is one of their target devices. I understand that it's
already possible to use it to make phone calls.

An episode of the Software Freedom Law Show talked about free software on
mobile phones, FYI.

[1] http://bb.osmocom.org/
[2] http://softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2010/jan/19/0x1F/