[GNU-linux-libre] Re: PCMCIA .cis files

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: PCMCIA .cis files
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:20:48 -0500

    > What is Torvalds doing?

    Word is that he's removing everything from within firmware/ on the next
    release.

I am confused.  What dies the `firmware/' directory have to do with these
files for PCMCIA?

    > If he has not addressed the issue, maybe you can poke him so he has
    > to do so, and then whatever solution he uses might be good for us too.

    A patch was posted that brought some sanity to the .cis files in Linux
    last year (Sam mentioned it upthread), but it got nowhere.

If the binaries are not valid sources, he's shafting people and
violating the GPL.  If they are, then what he's doing is fine, both
legally and practically.  So that is the crucial question.

It sounds to me like the binaries are close enough to qualify as
source.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation