Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:59:11 -0200

On Jan  5, 2011, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe a series of rebase operations could handle them one by one,

I think there's some miscommunication.  rebase won't deal with blobs,
filter-branch will.  rebase (used as described) will just apply (ranges
of) changes from one branch into a rewritten branch.

> What's more, any new revisions from Torvalds' repository can be
> converted very fast (assuming they don't add new blobs) by rebasing
> them.

> In addition, revisions in our repository can be converted the same
> way.  Just remember the last pair of revisions where a blob was
> deleted.  Suppose it is m <> z.  You can take our revisions, based on
> z, and rebase them into m in a copy of Torvalds' repository.  Then you
> can upload those to his real repository.

> Is the whole problem solved?

Once the rebasing and the remembering you described above (and I
described before) are easily integrated into git pull/merge/rebase, I
believe so.