Re: [GNU-linux-libre] has dosemu freedom issues?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] has dosemu freedom issues?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:29:48 +0100

Henry Jensen wrote:
Hello,.

a user of my distro asked if we can include dosemu, another user said, that we can't because dosemu has freedom issues.

To quote the user:
"the DOS part needs OpenWatcom (OSS, but NOT libre) or TurboC/TurboC++ (gratis not libre) to build." The "DOS part" refers to FreeDOS.

So dosemu is libre and FreeDOS is libre, but FreeDOS can only be built with non-free tools? That last step is not good, but it's beyond what we should worry about, IMO. If we have to check the build tools of software that we don't carry but could be used with one of our packages, then we should also check the build tools of those build tools and so on.

OpenWatcom is released under the "Open Watcom Public License". The FSF license list don't mention it.

Has anyone more insight regarding this matter?

There's a debian-legal thread about it [1].

At first glance I'd say at least section 2.2(c) is a problem: if you modify the software and install it at your workplace, then you have to make your modifications available to everyone, not just those you gave the binaries to.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg34680.html