Re: [GNU-linux-libre] debian squeeze kernel freed?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] debian squeeze kernel freed?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 09:55:22 +1030

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:11:57 -0700
John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 11:45:04 -0700
> > John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> It would be most helpful if the maintainers on this list could
> >> take a look and see what might still be remaining in the Squeeze
> >> kernel.
> >>
> >> Since Debian's stated goal is to remove all of the nonfree firmware
> >> from the kernel, seems like it would make sense to file bugs for
> >> anything remaining that we find.
> >
> > I'll find the relevant GR tonight, but debian may not consider the
> > same things non-free as us (but perhaps we can carry this on in the
> > other subthread, i went into more detail there).
> > kk
>
> I don't expect the definition to be different in this case. These
> blobs are sourceless, so if there is disagreement about removing
> particular ones, I will be surprised.
>
> There might be disagreement over source code that seems obfuscated
> though, and there might just be some oversights that aren't treated
> with sufficient priority.
>
> It'd be good to share the GR text here, but I think what needs to be
> done most is to check the actual work.

The gr [1] was "Lenny and resolving DFSG violations", of which option 5
[2] won. Option 5 being "Assume blobs comply with GPL unless proven
otherwise". I'm not aware of anything overriding that for squeeze, so I
assume it still applies in a lot of cases.

[1] http://www.debian.org/vote/2008/vote_003
[2] http://www.debian.org/vote/2008/vote_003#texte
kk

--