[GNU-linux-libre] VMware Xorg drivers

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] VMware Xorg drivers
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:00:54 +0200

Hello,

as I build package after package for ConnochaetOS more and more
software strikes me as suspicious.

This time it's the VMware drivers in Xorg. The name of the package is in

- Debian based distros: xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse and
xserver-xorg-video-vmware
- Fedora-based distros: xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse and xorg-x11-drv-vmware
- Arch based distros: xf86-video-vmware and xf86-input-vmmouse

I found this packages in Trisquel, BLAG and Parabola GNU/Linux.
I haven't checked other free distros.

I think this drivers are useful only when using a VMware Virtualisation
Software
Product. To the best of my knowledge none of those products is free software.

So the drivers are only useful when using proprietary software. It is my
understanding,
that software - even if itself is free - should'nt be part of a free distro
when it can
only be used in combination with proprietary software, because such software
encourages the user to install and use the proprietary software.

Unless there is another use for the VMWare Xorg drivers (I don't know of any)
they should be
removed and put on the "Blacklist".

Kind regards,

Henry