Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 21:07:39 +1030

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:40:42 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:39:01 +0200
> > jaromil <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> hi Karl,

> >> ACK. so i should include in the steps outlined the first one:
> >> propose the patch to upstream.
> >>
> >> is there a page resuming a short "what to do" when trying to
> >> liberate software packages?
> >
> > No, but I think there should be one :) (on libreplanet ?).
>
> Indeed. A common generic procedure could make distro development and
> communication between distros easier. How about this to start with:

looks good, but i'd rearrange it like this:

> * Identify the problem.
> * Contact gnu-linux-libre list.
> * Report a bug upstream.
> * Add to NONFSDG list with link to upstream and distro bug reports
> * Create a patch.
> * Publish the patch; send a copy to gnu-linux-libre and a copy to
> upstreams bts.
> * Apply careful diplomacy to upstream to accept the patch.
>
> YMMV, depending on the sort of problem.

and the level of life in upstream :)

> >> of course this is a task for sysadmins with time at hand.  and we
> >> know
> >
> > Not just sysadmins, thats the problem. it requires developer input
> > every time a package build fails. (otherwise, what was the point of
> > the build?)
>
> For just our patched packages it seems manageable. To take

managable, yes. but this started as 'builds at every new commit' - a
very different story.

> responsibility for a whole (or even multiple) distro repo we'd need a
> few more people, I figure. :)

Perhaps, depends how different the software we are working on is.

> >> buildbot its kind of one one could see it as a "launchpad" for
> >> linux-libre..  ..without having to sign silly contracts and be
> >> called "ubuntero" :) and most importantly based on more
> >> distributions, not just ubuntu, but all those platforms adopted by
> >> libre distros here.
> >
> > I like the vision, I just don't feel i'll be able to contribute as
> > much as i'd like.
>
> Would the vision require a big bang complete setup or could we slowly
> start with a proof of concept (e.g. the patch set in VCS or build
> only one of the packages) and grow from there?

Starting small would be starting it with one or two distros - something
reasonable imo.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)