Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat

From: jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] NONFSDG: Audacious plugins, Xchat
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:39:01 +0200

hi Karl,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:36:35PM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Not really. its /the/ solution if upstream doesn't want to accept
> the patch.  One of the big problems with this is different distros
> with different versions of applications trying to use the same
> patches as code evolves.

ACK. so i should include in the steps outlined the first one: propose
the patch to upstream.

is there a page resuming a short "what to do" when trying to liberate
software packages?

> > a long term solution can be that of setting up and mantaining a
> > "buildbot" with public repositories for various distributions, hosting
> > liberated packages that we patch and make available for the
> > public. internally at dyne.org we have such a buildbot to test
>
> I don't really see this as a better solution for distributions then
> the first tbh. For the public? perhaps better. for us? not a whole
> lot.

i see your point here.

> > upstream development of software: builds at every new commit and
> > reports failure on building on various platforms (via mail or
> > irc), ATM we have 32 and 64 bit debian, fedora, gentoo and ubuntu.
>
> I've thought about such things for various projects im involved in,
> but maintaining it and debugging requires much time/effort/skill
> then i have to hand.

of course this is a task for sysadmins with time at hand.  and we know
some. one of such buildbots is mantained by us, but it's on a donated
virtual machine running Xen and the donor cannot support us longer.
it's not difficult to setup, if resources are available.  else we have
to proceed raising our dependance from costly infrastructure and go
hire our own hosting. but you see what i'm saying is that at dyne we
do have the time/effort/skill for setting up such things, just lacking
infrastructure for it, so we could share both.

> mantaining a single buildbot > server/farm (easily setup with
> cowbuilder) can relief a lot of > system administration hassles for
> many of us.
>
> I can see a lot of potential issues, but there are potential gains
> too.
>
> > an ideal partner to host us could be the compile farm for GCC,
> > mantained by Laurent Guerby http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm
> >
> > excusez-moi pour le rĂªves de grandeur :)
>
> um...? :)

means "excuse me for the dreams of greatness" :) since this idea of a
buildbot its kind of one one could see it as a "launchpad" for
linux-libre..  ..without having to sign silly contracts and be called
"ubuntero" :) and most importantly based on more distributions, not
just ubuntu, but all those platforms adopted by libre distros here.

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39