Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freeing Unrar

From: Antonio Diaz Diaz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freeing Unrar
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:22:42 +0100

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:
As I understand, it does not limit the possibility of using it as a
reference for a free implementation of the *de*compression
algorithm. As an example, the zip and unzip programs come from
different source packages. INAL, but I see no problem in creating a
GNU unrar program, as long as the code from unrarsrc is not used,
just the concepts.

This is more or less what I am already trying to do, but even
extracting the concepts is not easy. Unrar uses 2 decompression
algorithms, a virtual machine, several filters, a lot of headers,
encription, etc.

What's the status on this? Are you still on it? If you are having
trouble maybe we can do a call for help.

The status is too little time for too many projects. Moreover, I doubt complete RAR decompression can be implemented this way with a reasonable effort.

I have not abandoned the project, but because of the difficulty in obtaining results, I am giving it a low priority.

Regards,
Antonio.