[GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 9wm - No FSF Free

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 9wm - No FSF Free
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:48:47 +0100

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Aug 28, 2009, "Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -" <address@hidden> wrote:

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:

Its problem is the absence of *explicit* permission for
modifications:

Permission is granted to all sentient beings to use this software,
to make copies of it, and to distribute those copies

The four freedoms don't look like they are being challenged, or am I wrong?

Given that copyright prohibits modification, and the license doesn't
grant permission for modifications, I think it's not enough for freedoms
#1 and #3 to be respected :-(

      (3) any unapproved changes in functionality are either
            (i) only distributed as patches
        or (ii) distributed as a new program which is not called 9wm
                and whose documentation gives credit where it is due

this provides for a change ..................

it expects a change .....

you need to do (i) or (ii) depending on how you implement the change

it is like mozilla