Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external

From: Daniel Olivera
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:38:58 +0200

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez escribió:
> El sáb, 15-08-2009 a las 10:55 +0930, Karl Goetz escribió:
>> In order of preference, I'd go with:
>>
>>  - Modify driver to print a warning.
>>  - Modify driver to print a warning (disable loading files)
>>  - Disable driver at compile time.
>>  - Remove driver (source) completely.
>
>>From that list, only two look "free enough" to me:
>
> -Remove driver (source) completely.
> -Modify driver to print a warning (disable loading files)
>
> I prefer the first, I don't see the point of distributing a useless
> program that still depends on a non-free part that now cannot be loaded.
> Linux-libre chooses this solution, stating that the modified error
> message can be used to teach the user about freedom. That way the
> program is not useless, but I still prefer to remove it.

>>> Then the maintainer of the freed version of the kernel can stop
>>> removing that module.
>> This would be easier if it was compiled out then if it was rm'd out.
>
> Difficulty can only be used to choose between valid solutions. Same goes
> for any other practical concern. If you choose not to compile the driver
> to fix an ethical issue, then you shouldn't distribute the code either.

Many times I heard in free software conference "Free software in not
about funcionality is about freedom"

Now, we can change this words?

Now, yes is about funcionality?

Funcionality is important to Open Source Iniciative not for us.
For us only freedom is important.
And for freedom is important know all about our system.

knowledge only makes us free not only "approved" parts based in personal
opinions.

Regards

happy hacking!!
--
Daniel Olivera (mate.cosido, aun fuera de la ley)
Director Proyecto UTUTO (Argentina)

"Soy y seré comunista hasta el último dia de mi vida"
"La vida no vale nada si no es para perecer porque otros puedan tener,
lo que uno disfruta ya" Pablo Milanes.

Correo Electrónico  : address@hidden - address@hidden

Argentina - Teléfono: +54  11 5353-9494 Extension: 2943434
España    - Teléfono: +34 957 780744          Fax: +34 957 780645
Sistemas VoIP       : ututo01 (Skype/Ekiga)
Mensajeros          : Jabber: address@hidden
                         ICQ: 8368437
Blog                : www.ututo.org/daniel