Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:58:54 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 01:48:00 +0300
Waver Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:

(trim)
* The system should never ever contain non-free parts/components, no
  matter how unpopular the decision about the removal is.  This may
  seem self-explanatory, but it's not, actually.  This leaves no place
  for exceptions, like the (in)famous Debian GRs about the firmware in
  the Linux kernel.  A perfect example of this policy in action was

I agree with the 'no exceptions'
I'm interested to hear how you think this situation could be handled:

 1 week before release 2 bits of non-free firmware are found in the
kernel. Would you delay release? remove them in an update ASAP after
release (to allow testing)? something else?

In relation to this: how do you "cleanly" handle a "heavy" freedom bug? To give an extreme example: suppose we find a problem with a core piece of X, after release, which requires it's removal. Do you just push the removing update to the repo, knowing that some users just install the updates they get without thinking about and preparing for the consequences? I think something like an advance warning would be in order then.

(trim)
  more about freedom, so Debian follows them.  However, non-free parts
  discovered in texlive are not removed in stable and oldstable
  releases.  My dream distro would treat these as "serious" bugs which
  warrant an update in stable and oldstable (when supported).

Debians policy is not to change the archive post release - it would be
a matter of policy to add a clause 'freedom bugs mean package removal'
as we do in gNS, and the system under discussion would be good to go.

Agreed.

* GNU packages by design are intended to work together: this is
  inherently a very important and core decision, because the ultimate

(trim)

  will by default use GNU packages that are intended for certain
  tasks, instead of the (far more popular) non-GNU alternatives.  In
  no doubt this will help overall with the enhancement of the GNU
  system.  FWIW, I somewhat partially agree with the widespread
  opinion that in the recent years lots of packages of dubious quality
  (like my own :-)) had become GNU packages, so the decision about
  switching to the GNU alternative should be deeply thought.

Switching to GNU packages is a nice long term goal, but where the system
is the only one using them in a certain way it puts all the burden of
testing and integration onto that distro. Long term, perhaps a good
goal, I won't try and do it in gNS though.
  In short, this means that by default the following will happen:

(trim)

  This goal is very ambitious, no doubt about that.  But I'm
  absolutely sure that it would be a good thing for GNU.  Making them
  default at least will make them more tested, especially in
  conjunction with the rest of the system.

Agreed.
Switching to GNU packages would be good for GNU, but would it be good for free sofware as a whole? I'd rather see a free distro (and upstream) with more users and contributors and less GNU than comparatively few users and contributors and more GNU. I agree that GNU packages have an advantage because of the ideological background, but that's also reflected in the distro's mission statement, so I'd rather see the software most users are already familiar with. gNewSense was based on Ubuntu because that was the most popular distro, so that it wouldn't be "alien" to new users, who could then devote all their attention to the freedom aspect of it.

* The system should not assume that the user is a clueless dummy.

Thank you.

  According to my interpretation this does not contradict with the
  goal the system to be easy to use, which is something desirable.
  The problem here is that "easy to use" != "something that looks like
  Windoze || MuckOS".  Now, things like command-not-found are nice as
  a concept, and have noble goals, but how annoying it is to wait

Pet peeve at this end too.

Especially when it winds up with bugs like this: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=524896
recreated if you remove them.

  nearly a minute on a slow machine thinking that the program does its
  job, while at the end discovering that the CPU cycles went for
  Packages.gz parsing?  Users just need to learn which packages
  provide the programs they need, and packages like command-not-found
  are not a replacement.

Or need to learn how to search for the command they want (`apt-cache
search coreutils` or synaptic -> find -> coreutils for example).

I disagree. Almost everyone around me (except at work) is more or less a clueless dummy. It's not good to take resources away from freedom issues (educating and checking/removing packages) when dealing with technical issues (educating and support) is not really necessary. Even slightly less clueless people, like terminal newbies, should not have to know that coreutils happens to be the package they need. Using mostly old hardware myself, I wholy sympathize with the pain of slow processes, limited disk space and all that, but the people who are most likely to keep using that hardware probably know their way around. They wouldn't have much trouble disabling stuff like command-not-found.

(trim)

I can't find a 'make-dfsg'.

Not really the same, but it illustrates my point. Someone looking for the 'link' command would not look for coreutils. I he was informed enough to know about apt-cache, he'd do 'apt-cache search link', which is not very helpful.

(trim)
  They are hard to maintain if not done upstream (this is true for any
  documentation format, of course).  I have personally never submitted
  upstream even one of those I wrote myself, because they make no
  sense and cannot be handled by upstream's build system (GNUstep Make
  in my case).  I absolutely hated every minute spent in nroff-mode
  (this is subjective, surely).

Theres a number of 2man packages in Debian for this very reason. The
man page format sucks to write.

  This "should" Debian Policy directive will be replaced by "Every
  program should contain documentation, in the most appropriate form
  suitable for it".  A requirement for documentation in Info format is
  nice, but not realistic to be adopted upstream.  Besides, Texinfo

The nice thing about man is the skill required to use it: none.
Navigating through info is like nethack (only the monsters are scarier
when using info)

Man is not just easy to use, but it's also the de facto standard, like F1 in a GUI. If you're going to have documentation in its "most appropriate form" you'd practically need a meta-help command which would in turn invoke man/info/whatever so you would have to try 5 commands before hitting the right one for the manual. And then still have to know how to navigate in each possible interface. The man command effectively fills this meta-help role with a "should" policy. The man pages may be incomplete, but they would at least contain the most important information and possibly point to better documentation.

* Every package (ideally) will have a dedicated maintainer, who will
  ensure that it is always up-to-date and properly maintained, to the
  best of her ability.  This is the hardest (and most unrealistic)
  part, but it solves numerous fundamental issues, like:

I'm sure this would have happened if gNS had enough contributors.

I dislike the single maintainer concept.

  - The maintainer will ensure that the package is entirely free,
    because she will review the diff between every upstream release,
    thus constantly verifying the package's suitability for inclusion.
    Efforts like PFV/KFV are admirable, but they'll never be
    completed, and are a waste.  Understandably, the gNS maintainers

Yes, {P,K}FV are suboptimal.

    cannot review the diff between two releases, even if they happen
    to be extremely masochistic.

We're bad, but not that bad ;)

Freedom checking by the maintainers is just PFV (incl. KFV) with more people. PFV as it is now leaves much to be desired, but it's one of the core tasks for a free distro. I've scribbled up some ideas about possible improvements, but I'd like to see us move to the new infrastructure and base system first. But with few people I think it makes more sense to have dedicated freedom checkers than to just have maintainer roles who's job description includes FV.

(trim)

    Unfortunately, a migration Debian -> gNS is out of question
    currently because gNS does not guarantee upgrades (an essential

2->3 will also be unsupported, but hopefully 3->4->onwards will be
supported.

No 2->3 migration path is disappointing, but to be expected. This is my main reason for not pushing gNS as much as I'd like to in my real life surroundings. I agree that we should do better with future releases.

    feature of every system, I'd say), even though we're otherwise

I agree.

    ready to do it (only my boss uses 2 non-free packages on his
    laptop, and I'll happily buy a network card with my own money for
    one machine where the driver is removed because it has blobs).

kk