gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:06:09 +1100

On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:23, Casey Marshall wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2005, at 12:35 AM, Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 December 2005 18:42, Casey Marshall wrote:
> >> A few of us have been throwing around the idea of merging GNU
> >> Crypto and Jessie into GNU Classpath, so Classpath will have full
> >> support for crypto and SSL "out of the box." We've proposed this
> >> before, and I think this idea was mostly approved by the group,
> >> but no-one ever got around to doing it.
> >>
> >> I'd like to propose again that we do this. I'll try to get to this
> >> myself, but if I can't get this done, we'll at least have a plan
> >> of action. I propose that we
> >>
> >>    - Rename the root package 'gnu.crypto' to 'gnu.javax.crypto' in
> >> GNU Crypto, and merge the current CVS sources into Classpath (not
> >> under external/). We then put GNU Crypto into a kind of "stasis"
> >> mode, and continue to develop these sources in Classpath.
> >
> > i think once the merge is done GNU Crypto can be retired all
> > together.
>
> We could do that, and it might be the de facto result, anyway.
>
> But I've always thought that GNU Crypto's goals are a little wider in
> scope than crypto support in Classpath, so it is useful on its own.
> The best example is where GNU Crypto provides interesting APIs
> (assembly, AEAD modes) that the J2SE doesn't have.

see my previous post re. the assembly classes.

i am resigned to the fact that not everything will make it into
Classpath.  but... whatever gets there has a better chance of being
seen and --hopefully, in time-- used by Java programmers.

retiring the project, or putting it in hybernation lead, as you said, to
the same end --seeing how few people are willing to work on it.  yet if
its basic APIs make it into Classpath, it can then (a) fulfill its
requirement for use by Classpath, and (b) usable through other than the
JCA API.

> Thanks.

cheers;
rsn