gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] Perhaps OT crypto question

From: Ben
Subject: [GNU Crypto] Perhaps OT crypto question
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:11:00 -0800

Maybe this is the wrong place for this question, but here goes:

Say I have some data d.  I have a symmetric block cipher like Blowfish
that encrypts the data such that e = b(d, k) with k being the key, d the
original data, and e the encrypted data.  Now I have a hash function
like SHA that takes the hash of the encrypted data like this h = s(e) or
h = s(b(d, k)).  Now, assuming that an attacker can see only the data
(d) and the hash of the encrypted data (h or s(b(d, k))).  Would my key
(k) be secure?
Thanks,
Ben
--