gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] More keyrings, PBE.

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] More keyrings, PBE.
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:12:10 -0700

>>>>> "Raif" == Raif S Naffah <address@hidden> writes:

Raif> hello Casey,
Raif> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 01:59 pm, Casey Marshall wrote:
>> ...  Also new is a KeyStore adapter for GNU keyrings, and I have
>> been able to use `keytool' to read a public keyring. Attached is an
>> example public keyring with the same contents as the `cacerts' file
>> distributed with the JDK.

Raif> i tried running the keytool on the attached file but i get:

Raif> $ keytool -list -keystore ~/cacerts.gkr keytool error:
Raif> java.io.IOException: Invalid keystore format

Raif> am i missing something?

You will probably need to add `-storetype GKR', and make sure the
GNU-CRYPTO provider is installed.

The file I posted earlier was trivially incorrect, too, because of a
few minor details fixed later on.

Also don't forget that the basic structure of the keyrings will be
changing slightly, so that file will be obsolete soon anyway.

Raif> i'm asking because i'd like to start adding some test cases for
Raif> the keyring as part of the upcoming release.

What is your estimated release schedule for 2.0? I'd like to know so I
can finish the keyring stuff in time.

(I'd also like to have Jessie stable by that time, but no promises)

Raif> also, is there anything we can do to improve usage of the
Raif> library with Jesse?

The situation I would like best is to have as much crypto code as
possible in GNU Crypto. As it stands I have implemented in Jessie:

  * Diffie-Hellman (I just need to figure out GNU-Crypto's API to
    remove this).
  * Parts of SRP (similar situation as DH).
  * RSA encryption.
  * DSS that takes a pre-computed hash.
  * MACs and PRNGs that are SSL-specific.

One last thing: the javax.security.callback.auth.TextOutputCallback
class has a method `getStyle', while in the JDK this method is
apparently called `getMessageType'. Why is this?

- --
Casey Marshall || address@hidden